Took another swing at

Mountain dewd

Re: Took another swing at

Postby Mountain dewd » 26 Jul 2017, 14:30

Back to having issues with it. Seems like the shells are not being lifted high enough, and get caught at the bottom lip of the chamber.
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:
WAY too many people on earth too few dogs....
I really believe I am getting more and more anti social as the days fly by.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

44man

Postby 44man » 02 Aug 2017, 07:51

I have the War Dept tech manual for that gun. It does not show the lifter symptom you are having or why a shell does not come back far enough. Other then inspection for wear, lifter pawl, springs, I can't tell you.

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 02 Aug 2017, 20:42

I am considering buying a new lifter, or swapping one from another gun to see if that helps.
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

44man

Postby 44man » 06 Aug 2017, 09:23

Darn I wish I could help but I need a gun in hand.
I have confidence in you so tell me what you find.

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 06 Aug 2017, 19:35

I have a Stevens 530 somewhere, and it should be the same part. I will swap it out when I get a chance.

WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

44man

Postby 44man » 13 Aug 2017, 08:36

I have repaired 2 guns over and over that failed to feed proper, they are the REM 1100 and 870's. I followed factory repair instructions on so many I can't count them. None worked. I traced it to the magazine springs and bought Wolfe springs by the dozens and have none left.
At first I stretched them but it never lasted so it came to replacements.
Fooling with shell stops, etc was a waste of time. Some springs are EVIL and are my nemesis. Flat springs the worst until I learned to make my own. I had the frizzen spring break on my flint lock so I made one from tool steel that is still working over 40 years. I also made the goofy mainsprings for locks.
The worst spring I made was the trigger spring for a Freedom revolver to lighten pull. Factory wanted $100 to change the spring. The thing was designed in hell but I wound one from thinner wire. Please don't take a Freedom apart, I had to to make new parts, hammer blocks and transfer bars that wore and failed, not good to push the hammer and see the pin come out.
Pull the magazine spring and stretch it to see if it works.
Did you know if you leave 5 rounds in a Ruger Mark I,II or III magazine it will fail to feed? Always store magazines empty. Yet you will find 1911 magazines loaded since WWII that still work. It is the spring maker.
Maybe the best thing I can help with are SPRINGS. If your Ruger SA revolver does not group anymore, replace the hammer spring with a 26# Wolfe over power. Forget the LOCK TIME CHIT, a primer needs a certain impact. Never, EVER reduce the hammer springs for a better pull. Or a bolt gun firing pin spring.
At work I was called the pit master, loading airplanes (nobody in history ever put 150+ bags in the front pits of a 737) but maybe I am the spring master with guns.

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 13 Aug 2017, 21:47

You're ABSOLUTELY right. Springs are one of the most integral parts of a properly firing gun.

WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

Return to “Gunsmithing; Woodwork, General Restoration”