Bit the bullet

Mountain dewd

Bit the bullet

Postby Mountain dewd » 31 May 2016, 23:53

Well, I finally went and did it the other day. I purchased a LEE melter. I bought the nice one with the pour spout. WOW guys! I was really missing out not having one. I cast up a bunch of .390 roundballs and they turned out great. Great control with the lead pot!
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:
WAY too many people on earth too few dogs....
I really believe I am getting more and more anti social as the days fly by.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

kwh
Site Admin

Re: Bit the bullet

Postby kwh » 01 Jun 2016, 09:05

Good for you! I bought one of the little 4 lb lee furnaces when they first came out( 70s?) and I am still using it.I have always had excellent results with Lee products.

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 01 Jun 2016, 09:43

Thanks! I think this one is rated for 10 pounds. That's a lot of .40 roundballs!
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

kwh
Site Admin

Postby kwh » 03 Jun 2016, 07:57

Are you using a Lee mold ? I have owned a bunch of molds by different makers and Lee molds seem to produce as good a bullet as any of them.

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 03 Jun 2016, 10:44

Yep, all LEE, and one Lyman. The Lyman feels sturdier and has a better sprue cutter, but the product is identical to the LEE unit.

WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

44man

Postby 44man » 20 Aug 2017, 06:55

With the monsters I shoot, I use the 20# pot. I ladle cast so I plugged the hole in the bottom. I have the LBT soft nose pot made by Lee too, never a problem.
Lyman and RCBS pots never worked for me. Problems with thermostats.

44man

Postby 44man » 11 Nov 2017, 08:09

I have been casting for near 70 years, started with sinkers as a kid with a pot on the kitchen stove. I even made my own sinker molds but had a nice one for the big sinkers for lake Erie, made my jig molds. I was a fishing fool back then. Finding a hunk of aluminum was a joy to make a mold.
Went to bullets about 1953 for my .357, then in 56 for the .44 mag. Still a big cast iron lead pot. I found a plumbers stove for propane along a RR track and still have it to smelt and make alloys.
I used a Lyman pot and tried a friends RCBS, he has two and he never makes a good bullet or ball. Mine cycled so slow lead would freeze while casting, went to Lee and problem has never come back but I will never use bottom pour, tried a thousand times and never made it work. With a ladle I can drain a 20# pot with not a single reject.
Then one day at work I was given a huge round of aircraft aluminum, I spent all free time on the bandsaw in the tool room cutting strips, maintenance supervisors let me do what I wanted and use anything and all the mechanics got me tools and stuff. I even had the combinations for all the tool room tool lockers. I didn't know what I would use the aluminum for yet.
Then I got my lathe, mill, drill, Smithy cheap one. I bought cast iron risers and made a mold vise that closes to center and started to cut bullet cherries. I moved up to the Smithy Granite a friends father sold me, came with everything, even a Vertex to cut any angle for cherry cutters, better then the index setup I made for a vice. Designed my own bullets and made for every gun, nobody has beat them for accuracy. I figured out how to harden cherries without a warp and temper in the kitchen oven. The aluminum was cut just right to start molds.
The things I learned about casting and bullets increased so much I should have taken pictures and written a book.
I was given a pile of 1/4" stainless scrap that I use for sprue plates. I mill flat and found a countersink will burn up so I mount on a face plate the to cut the pour tapers with a cutter I made. I never gave up to get it right.
On to making a revolver out shoot rifles but even back in 53 I was shooting 1" targets at 100 yards with cast from my S&W 27 and shot the .44 BH to as far as 600 yards and hit targets. At IHMSA I needed better and achieved it with more work. I have shot 3/4" groups at 200 meters with my SBH many times with open sights.
If I prove anyone wrong on a shooting site, I get tossed. Even shut down on Facebook once.
On the one site I am still on I must have a few hundred posts that end the discussion or I am passed over with responses. I am never answered or referred to.

44man

Postby 44man » 11 Nov 2017, 08:59

My dear friend Jay was the only one to believe in me and some of you know our history. He really, really hated me at first. We had many PM's and phone calls and we became fast friends. I seen his love for Andy and family. He was after all a great person. My loss is not being able to hug the big man. I will forever love him.
The big man was just like me and others did not like him so he got tossed too.

WASATCH CHARLIE

Postby WASATCH CHARLIE » 14 Nov 2017, 15:09

Well, you are not alone. Seems a FEW of us here have ruffled feathers on other sites too. when I lived in POKIE Idaho, I seem to have upset some folks on a local site and quite a few of my posts were deleted.....
no big deal,. I don't post there anymore... I think you and JAY are ''cast from the same mold''. It upsets those that hide behind the internet when you tell it like it is...ELMER KEITH was the same way.... not enough folks ''tell it like it is''. too upsetting for the ''politically correct''.
Keep up the great posts...we are all learning from you .
Glenn/ W.C.
General JAY GIBSON was my friend and always will be.
Straight as an arrow to VALHALLA. Brother.
Keep an eye on IVY until I get home. ztou

Return to “Casting Equipment”