Thoughts out of season (Unzeitgemässe Betrachtungen) . . . My CB observations

Jay Gibson
Site Admin

Thoughts out of season (Unzeitgemässe Betrachtungen) . . . My CB observations

Postby Jay Gibson » 13 Sep 2015, 11:38

1) Shoot oversized bullets. If it will chamber, drop the hammer.

2) Cast as hot as possible with Al moulds and damn near that hot with brass, or steel. How hot? Good question.

3) How hot? Frost, meaning that kind of cloudy rough look and feel, not dented or sallow, or defective, just ugly, IS GOOD. Actial temp. is alloy dependent.

4) ALWAYS keep Al moulds HOT.

5) Pressure cast rifle bullets.

6) Water drop everything, much simpler.

7) Relatively hard bullets are not brittle, those are lies. I still have no idea how that Col. Harrison concluded that they were so brittle. Pure linotype is far from brittle. I have shot TOUGH objects and it seems that allegedly brittle alloys stand up, fine. COOPER DOES INCREASE TOUGHNESS but is not an absolute necessity to get decent velocity and have your cast projectile survive and kill. [When one wants to go higher velocity then I think it (Cu) shines, IN RIFLES.]

8) Fancy lubes are like fishing lures, more for the fisherman than the fish. A 50/50 mix of lithium grease and beeswax will do it all.

9) A GOOD MOULD is a thing of beauty, not all are GOOD.

10) Paying attention to your reloading procedure and SHOOTING THE FUCKING GUN will pay dividends that beating your brains out over trying to cast perfect bullets will never achieve.
" If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.
The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living.
To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.
A man of courage is also full of faith.
He only employs his passion who can make no use of his reason.
A friend is, as it were, a second self.
While there's life, there's hope.
True nobility is exempt from fear.
Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable than fidelity. Faithfulness and truth are the most sacred excellences and endowments of the human mind."

Mountain dewd

Re: Thoughts out of season (Unzeitgemässe Betrachtungen) . . . My CB observations

Postby Mountain dewd » 13 Sep 2015, 12:10

Good post! I am very grateful to have such ready access to TESTED information. It will come in handy when I begin casting for my mosin.
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:
WAY too many people on earth too few dogs....
I really believe I am getting more and more anti social as the days fly by.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

WASATCH CHARLIE

Re: Thoughts out of season (Unzeitgemässe Betrachtungen) . . . My CB observations

Postby WASATCH CHARLIE » 14 Oct 2015, 00:41

Good post indeed !!!!! if it don't break when you drop it on cement/concrete, it AIN'T BRITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had a fellow who went out of business a few years back,. he was well known for ''hard-cast '' projectiles .
He produced a LOT of bullets for local .303 Brit. target/comp. shooters(Very popular on the island.)
Also produced .309-.310'' for the 30 cal.crowd....... I got a couple hand fulls in a swap for some 99% pure lead.
shot them in my .'06 then loaded some in the .300 win.mag. 2400-2500 fps before accuracy went away... they sure could penetrate!!!!!! .
General JAY GIBSON was my friend and always will be.
Straight as an arrow to VALHALLA. Brother.
Keep an eye on IVY until I get home. ztou

44man

Postby 44man » 17 May 2017, 11:36

Dang it all, Does jay still read where he is? Pains me before an answer. But NO, not too hot. Molds shrink with heat and get smaller and more out of round. They are not holes in a block, cavities are edges. At frost is worse.
Making my own molds taught me much. Make shiny full filled bullets.

WASATCH CHARLIE

Postby WASATCH CHARLIE » 17 May 2017, 22:21

Don't think he has too much time to read.....Too busy watching over us and sitting around the campfire keeping CUSTER and SITTING BULL from from starting BATTLE OF THE GREASY GRASS part 2.
General JAY GIBSON was my friend and always will be.
Straight as an arrow to VALHALLA. Brother.
Keep an eye on IVY until I get home. ztou

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 20 May 2017, 08:01

2-4 absolutely sum up and answer my "lead too hot?" question. Jay, I wish you were still here so I could thank you personally.
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:
WAY too many people on earth too few dogs....
I really believe I am getting more and more anti social as the days fly by.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Return to “Shooting Cast Bullets”