dumbass award

Palaver
daniellawecki

dumbass award

Postby daniellawecki » 16 Jul 2017, 17:35

.Today I really came close to getting hurt. My AR DPMS blow up and there really isn't many good pieces left. My hand was under the mag that ballooned out at the bottom left side of gun blown off. The right side dust cover bent the scope maybe alright. The pistol grip ok the gas block sling swivels'. Powder charge was just under starting load by 10% CFE 223 CCI 400 primer. This was my fubar the bullet used had no crimp groove I just used the wrong frickin bullet by accident it was a 55 grain bullet.

johniv

Re: dumbass award

Postby johniv » 16 Jul 2017, 18:06

Glad you are not hurt Dan. I don't know what to expect when an AR goes "FOOM". It sounds like it handled the incident well. Were you wearing glasses? Is your hand OK?

daniellawecki

Postby daniellawecki » 16 Jul 2017, 20:01

Hand hurts like hell two small cuts. Glasses are my street glasses. I was the only one on the hundred yard range. If someone would have been on my left he would have really been hurt or killed. As pieces of the gun flew to the left about 4' top strap is about a 1/4'' higher. If I take post pics would wonder why I wasn't hurt more.

kwh
Site Admin

Postby kwh » 17 Jul 2017, 22:00

Glad you werent hurt any worse! Why did your AR blow up? If the bullet wasnt tight in the case mouth it seems like it wouldnt cause that!

44man

Postby 44man » 18 Jul 2017, 08:43

Dan, you have to look at the cause and I see a few.
Now I don't know the powder you used but several do not take kindly to under the starting load plus how you were shooting, fast or one at a time.
Some powders will not ignite if under a certain amount so the primer blows the bullet and charge into the bore, next shot ruins the gun.
Next is an SEE event where the bullet has room to move from the primer pressure (A bullet seated far out with loss of case hold is another cause.) The bullet will stop as a bore obstruction, pressure reverses in the case and kaboom. Any rifle with freebore or chambered for a long bullet must never have a short bullet seated long to try and reach rifling. Use the full length of the neck.
KWH, yes it does. You must have case tension.

WASATCH CHARLIE

Postby WASATCH CHARLIE » 18 Jul 2017, 22:44

Wow DAN, Ito am happy you were not seriously injured !!!!
are you going to by an SKS now ??????
General JAY GIBSON was my friend and always will be.
Straight as an arrow to VALHALLA. Brother.
Keep an eye on IVY until I get home. ztou

Return to “Hurricane Deck”