Looking for opinions on a build

Mountain dewd

Looking for opinions on a build

Postby Mountain dewd » 03 Jul 2016, 22:46

Gents, I have this beat old WH Davenport single shot shotgun that I got for free some time ago, and I am looking for what to do with it. I am looking to keep this project as close to free as possible. Thoughts guys?
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:
WAY too many people on earth too few dogs....
I really believe I am getting more and more anti social as the days fly by.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

kwh
Site Admin

Re: Looking for opinions on a build

Postby kwh » 04 Jul 2016, 07:31

Check the chamber length ! I assume it is in 12 ga? There were a lot of short chamber 12 ga shotguns then.That ancient H&R I bought a little while back has a 2 1\2" chamber.If no one your way has a chamber length gauge I will be happy to lend you mine.After that if it were mine I would cut the barrel off at 18 1\2" clean up the wood and maybe put sights on it.Another thing to think about is to remove the butt plate,cut an oval hole out of the center and make a sheet metal plate to cover it that fits under the plate and pivots off one of the screws.Bore two holes in the buttstock and put two shells in there.Rather like the arrangement used on the Savage 24C.

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 04 Jul 2016, 10:08

Great idea Kurt! It is a 12 gauge, and has a 2 3/4" chamber I have shot it a couple times. The buttstock is in bad shape, and may need to be duplicated. I will keep you guys posted!
Jay Gibson- 1966-2015. You will always be with us brother. Rest easy in Valhalla till we all meet up again.

Of what value is the preservation of humanity without the preservation of freedom?
WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

kwh
Site Admin

Postby kwh » 05 Jul 2016, 09:37

What is wrong with the butt stock? Typically those crack down the sides where it fits over the receiver.This is a pretty easy fix with acraglas and pins but it will always show.

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 05 Jul 2016, 14:28

The gun appears to have been run over at some point in its life. I repaired it, and it is ugly but functional. I am considering coating the stock in bedliner.

WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

WASATCH CHARLIE

Postby WASATCH CHARLIE » 06 Jul 2016, 01:02

In your neck of the woods,can you keep a shotgun in your truck all year ??????? always have ''something in mine....
General JAY GIBSON was my friend and always will be.
Straight as an arrow to VALHALLA. Brother.
Keep an eye on IVY until I get home. ztou

Mountain dewd

Postby Mountain dewd » 06 Jul 2016, 10:49

No problems doing so, Glenn. For now at least...

WASATCH CHARLIE wrote:

WASATCH CHARLIE

Postby WASATCH CHARLIE » 03 Jul 2017, 11:44

Cleaned the truck SKS this morning......... its my ''raccoon '' collector.
a legal reason to ''carry'' !!!!!
General JAY GIBSON was my friend and always will be.
Straight as an arrow to VALHALLA. Brother.
Keep an eye on IVY until I get home. ztou

44man

Postby 44man » 16 Aug 2017, 07:20

Now I wonder about you---BEDLINER!!!! I can picture the cheek rash.
Too bad you don't live close, I would give you a walnut plank. Shotguns stocks are fun to make????
But I am known to fix cracks that are never seen. It can be done.
I picked up a little single shot 410 a while back for $50. I could not hit a thing, cheek so high I shot 10' over so I took the rasp and files to it. I got it like a rifle now and refinished showed real pretty wood. Love the old guns.
Joe bought a WW .22 auto and will refinish so I told him to use paint remover but he scrapes with a razor blade.
Some peoples kids! He will get a decent finish but will hide any grain with his big box store finish.
Laurel Mountain stain and Tru Oil are the best.
I can't wait to see yours.

Return to “Shotguns: Military and Sporting”